File for Divorce

File for divorce with your county’s Clerk of the Superior Court.

You must file for divorce with the Clerk of the Superior Court in the county where you or your spouse have lived for at least 6 months. You’ll start by filing a complaint for divorce, or petition for divorce, with the legal grounds for your divorce and what issues you want the court to address.

Divorces can either be contested or uncontested. In uncontested divorces, both parties agree to the terms of divorce, such as child custody, the division of assets, or alimony. In contested divorces, the parties do not agree and must settle these terms in court.

It is recommended that you seek legal advice when filing for divorce. You can find an attorney by visiting the State Bar of Georgia’s website.

Get started

Visit the Clerk’s Office of the Superior Court to begin divorce proceedings.

Superior Court Clerks' Cooperative Authority: Office


1875 Century Boulevard
Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30345

This information was prepared as a public service of the State of Georgia to provide general information, not to advise on any specific legal problem. It is not, and cannot be construed to be, legal advice. If you have questions regarding any matter contained on this page, please contact the related agency.