How Do I Get a Professional Certification or License?
Gather What You'll Need
When you apply for a professional license or certification, you’ll need:
- Proof of identity, such as a valid passport, Social Security number, or driver’s license.
- Application, which may vary by profession and certifying state organization.
- Form of payment.
- Your certification or license from another state, if you are transferring an existing out-of-state license. Some out-of-state certificates for certain professions, such as teachers, may be eligible for interstate reciprocity.
- Proof of required experience, if applicable. For example, if your certification requires formal education or training, you may need to provide official transcripts.
Find a State Agency
Different state organizations are responsible for certifying various industry professionals. For example, many professional certifications, such as nurses and plumbers, are processed by the Professional Licensing Boards Division of the Secretary of State’s Office (SOS). Visit the respective state organization to apply for, transfer, or renew your professional license.
List of professions that need special certification in Georgia Profession or Industry State Organization Various (Architecture, Nursing, Therapy, etc.) Georgia Secretary of State Educators Georgia Professional Standards Commission Law State Bar of Georgia Physicians Georgia Composite Medical Board Insurance Agents Georgia Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Animal and Plant Industry Georgia Department of Agriculture Real Estate Agents Georgia Real Estate Commission & Appraisers Board Dentists Georgia Board of Dentistry Pharmacists Georgia Board of Pharmacy Commercial Drivers Georgia Department of Driver Services
If your profession is certified by SOS, you can purchase or renew your professional license or certification through the Professional Licensing Boards Division’s online portal. You can download application forms from the SOS website. If your profession is certified by another organization, please follow their application instructions.
- Please keep a copy of your certification for your records.
- Your license or certification may have to be renewed regularly. See list of license expiration and renewal dates.