Renew SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) Benefits

SNAP benefits, also known as food stamps, must be renewed periodically.

*If you need help reading this information or communicating with us, ask us or call 1-877-423-4746. Our services, including interpreters, are free. If you are deaf, hard-of-hearing, deaf-blind or have difficulty speaking, you can call us at the number above by dialing 711 (Georgia Relay).

You should receive a Renewal letter from the Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS) by the 20th day of the month before the month your benefits are scheduled to end. For example, if your benefits are scheduled to end in August, you should receive a Renewal letter from DFCS by July 20. 

If you do not receive your notification when expected or have any questions about renewing your SNAP benefits, call DFCS at 877-423-4746. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please call Georgia Relay at 800-255-0135. These services are free.

How Do I … Renew My SNAP Benefits?

  • Gather What You'll Need

    You will need to provide the following information about yourself and all household members:

    • Proof of Identity
    • Date of Birth
    • Social Security Number
    • Citizenship or immigration status
    • Employment status and income
    • Criminal background, if any (Examples: probation, parole, felony conviction)
    • Proof of household income (Examples: pay stub, child support payments)
    • Proof of household expenses (Examples: utilities, medical bills, child care receipts)

    ​​​​​​​Note: You only must provide Social Security Numbers (SSN) and citizenship or immigration status for persons who want to apply for benefits. This information will be used to check the income and eligibility verification system (IEVS). We will also match your information against other Federal, state, and local agencies to verify your income and eligibility, to track wage information and participation in work activities. If a household member does not want to give us information about their SSN, citizenship or immigration status, other household members may still receive benefits. If you are applying for emergency medical services only, you do not have to provide your SSN or information about your immigration status.

  • Fill Out and Submit Your SNAP Renewal Form

    Choose your SNAP Renewal Form:

    • Renew online

      You can renew your benefits as well as check and manage your status through Georgia Gateway.

      • Visit the Georgia Gateway website.
      • Create an account or log in with your existing information.
      • Fill out the required information and submit your Renewal application.
      • All DFCS locations have computers in their lobbies if you need web access.
    • Renew by mail

      You can mail your completed SNAP Renewal Form to any DFCS office.

      • Find the nearest DFCS office location by city, county or zip code.
      • Mail your completed SNAP Renewal Form to that office.
      • Some offices have separate mailing and physical addresses, so be sure to check the address.
    • Renew in person

      You can drop off your completed SNAP Renewal Form to any DFCS office.

      • Find the nearest DFCS office location by city, county or zip code.
      • Bring your completed SNAP Renewal Form to the office during its operating hours.
      • Some offices have separate mailing and physical addresses, so be sure to check the address.
  • Next Steps

    • Once your Renewal form is received, it will take up to 30 days to process.
    • The Renewal letter will include the submission date to avoid an interruption of benefits. Timely Renewals are typically received by the 15th of the month.
    • Forms can still be submitted after the submission date, but accounts with Untimely Renewals are subject to interruptions with their benefits.
    • If you believe the decision in your case isn’t fair, you can request a hearing to have your case reconsidered. Contact your local office by mail or over the phone within 10 days of receiving your notice of eligibility.
  • Nondiscrimination Statement

    In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. 

    Program information may be made available in languages other than English.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. 

    To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to: 

    1. mail: 
      Food and Nutrition Service, USDA 
      1320 Braddock Place, Room 334 
      Alexandria, VA 22314; or 
    1. fax: 
      (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or 
    1. email: 

    This institution is an equal opportunity provider. 

Did you find what you were looking for on this page?