How Do I Apply for Elderly and Disabled Waiver Program?
Make Sure You’re Eligible
To qualify, you must be eligible for Medicaid and:
- Be at least 65 years old (or, if younger than 65, meet certain disability requirements),
- Be impaired by physical limitations,
- Choose to receive services in your home or community instead of a nursing home, and
- Participate in only one waiver program at a time.
Gather What You’ll Need
- Verification of income
- Verification of assets, such as bank accounts or property
- Verification of citizenship
- Doctor approval for intermediate nursing home care
- Doctor approval for the development of a care plan
Submit Your Application
The Georgia Division of Aging Services administers EDWP through the Area Agencies on Aging. You can apply for EDWP by calling your Area Agency on Aging (AAA).
- Call the toll-free, state-wide number for the Area Agency on Aging at 888-669-7195.
- Once connected, an AAA staff member will screen you by asking questions about your situation.
- This screening will determine eligibility and urgency of need, which affects your placement on the waiting list.
- You’ll be contacted when your name comes to the top of the waiting list. You will undergo an in-home assessment to determine the level of care you need.
- As part of the assessment, the nurse or care coordinator will work with you and your caregiver to develop a care plan.